Thursday, January 10, 2013

Reflections and Connections

 Living on this small island, I am often reminded of past events when I encounter a familiar landmark. This week  I attended the monthly Key West Business Guild mixer, which was hosted by the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum and featured their fabulous Harry Potter's World exhibit.  As I walked into the building, I remembered that the last time that this venue had been the host for a mixer, I was still working in regional airline management.  That party had a Pirate theme.  I found this old pic of me in a pirate hat handing over a prize to the wonderful Dale Redford, who will always be remembered for his antics at the Atlantic Shores and his tireless fundraising  for countless charities as the Bingo caller at 801.



Another thing that I've noticed while living here is that once in a while, as we shuffle the deck, and people move between different jobs and organizations, there are often unexpected connections.  Our new Executive Director of the Guild, Guy Ross, has a long history of service with the museum.  In an interesting twist, his predecessor, Rebecca Tomlinson, is now on staff at the museum.  So Guy is my new "weekend boss."  Here he is greeting some visitors at our Guild Office and Gay Key West Visitor Center. (He's the one in the middle, with the big smile.)



I started a new job, too.  I'll still be at the Guild every weekend, and part time at the Clinic of Alternative Medicine, but I'll also be working at First International Title with Mendy Walden.  I met Mendy several years ago when my wife was working with her at a title company.  Who would have ever guessed that I'd be working with her one day?  Weird, huh?  Wish me luck!  Here's my new card:


So that's life in Paradise!  Full of reflections and connections. 


No comments:

Post a Comment